Monday, May 23, 2011

Graduation

Ah. Graduation is rapidly approaching.  In fact it is this Saturday.  Well if it were up to me I wouldn't go and the only reason I am attending is for my parents and grandparents, even though yesterday my Dad told me how he was dreading the ridiculously long 2 ceremonies I must attend.  So, why the hell am I going?!  I get that graduation is a time thats all about you where everyone in your life whom you love can praise your accomplishments.  But, seriously I would rather get a knock on my door with the University delivering my diploma scotch taped onto a 12 pack of Sam Adams Summer Ale with a note that says "Good job!".  That would be a better way to honor my accomplishments.

Really though...What have we accomplished throughout these four years of college?  College wasn't that hard.  I am sorry but it wasn't.  Yeah there were times that I was stressed, but I think I got through pretty easily minus one poor semester where I was in the midst of "finding myself"(yes, thats what I am calling it).

I guess the best thing about graduation is the money that I will hopefully get from my relatives. knock on wood.  I am not excited about the ugly blue gown and brown hood I must wear.  Ew.  I am  not excited about sitting still for like 5 hours. yuck.  And I am not excited about the endless amounts of pictures my father is going to make me take.  I am NOT photogenic so days like these are not my favorite.

The good news is that after this graduation ceremony there probably won't be that many more I will have to sit through.  My graduation from grad school.. but hopefully my parents will let me skip that one.  Baby bro's graduation which will be in 2 years.  Hopefully at that point I will have a SmartPhone and can be on the internet the whole time.  And, then I think I am in the clear!! :) ..until the one day I eventually have kids.  Then its like preschool graduation, kindergarten graduation, 5th grade graduation, 8th grade graduation, high school graduation, college graduation, med school and or law school graduation haha.

So the moral to this story is.... Lets get rid of the ceremonies.  Graduations are about honoring the ones we love and praising them for their accomplishments.  Lets hand the graduates a diploma and then their family and friends can congratulate them and give them checks.  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment