Thursday, April 21, 2011

To cry or not to cry..

Crying.  It is just so interesting.  Yes, of course, the actual act of crying is mind boggling to me. Where does it come from?  What is it?  Why does it taste salty?  I really hope my roommate Jocelyn will have some scientific answers to these questions for me later.  But that is not the point.  My real question, however, is WHY do we cry?

If you're like me you cry at the drop of a hat.  I don't care what it is. Sad, Happy, Confused, Scared, Excited.. I am going to cry.  Whatever it involves.. family, friends, men, school, work.. anything can make me cry.

I cry during movies.  Love Actually, Fox and the Hound (it's a Disney Movie), and even Sex and the City. What can I say? I am a sucker for a good cry, and I guess I am a bit of a romantic because everything that has to do with love makes me cry.  "Say Yes to the Dress", a show where women shop for their wedding dresses, makes me cry.  Commercials.  Oh my god, they make me cry.  That one phone commercial where the father takes a picture of the monkey in front of the various locations he travels to (Eiffel Tower..etc) makes me cry.  Soo cute. I am pretty sure I once cried during a Venus razor commercial with Jennifer Lopez.  She was running along the beach with her kids and I just thought damn to have that kind of happiness and smooth legs.. so I cried.

Sometimes I cry when I get too stressed out.. which is reasonable I think.. if it has to do with school/work or something of that nature.  But sometimes I get stressed because I have to clean my room, do laundry, and go to the food store all in the same day. Wah! Yup, that deserves a cry.


Secondly, location of a cry is important.  Yes I cry in my room, in the shower, in public.. but my favorite place to cry is WITHOUT A DOUBT my car.  There's something about it.  I am upset about something and I can get in my car and pretend that I am driving away from all my problems even if I am just driving around the block.  Love crying in the car.  But the worst thing is when you're not prepared for it.  One time I was driving home from school on the Jersey Turnpike and boom! "Time of Your Life" by Green Day comes on.  Uh oh here come the water works.  I don't know why. But.. I was not prepared. No tissues no napkins.. which was the worst.. because by the time I got home 2 hours later my shirt was doused in tears and snot. Ha lovely.

What is odd about the whole crying thing is that I can not control it.  I cry at the most ridiculous things, yet find myself unable to cry at events that are actually worth crying over.  My parents divorce.  Didn't shed one freakin' tear.  And I was devastated, but I just couldn't cry.  This past year my grandmother's sister passed away and I saw how sad my grandmother was and I felt that pain, but I just could not cry.

So what is it about crying?  Why am I programmed to cry at ridiculous things like the Sex and the City movie or the Venus razor commercial, yet can't seem to cry when actual sad things occur?  Is that just the way the cookie crumbles?

No comments:

Post a Comment