Thursday, April 28, 2011

Long Island pronounced "LAAAWWNGUYLAND"

I am sick of the Long Island stereotypes.  See link: Urban Dictionary Long Island Girl

Yes, I am from Long Island, but that definition provided for a Long Island girl is absolutely ridiculous, and I intend to prove that it is false! :)

A friend was telling me the other day that he generally doesn't like people from Long Island or North Jersey.  So I must ask, why does Long Island have such a stereotype?  And, why do I know so many people from Long Island who are like me and NOT the stereotypical "LongIslander" that haters describe us as.

Here's why I don't fit your idiotic description of a Long Islander:

1. I am not rich.  People have misconceptions that everyone from Long Island is ridiculously wealthy.  Um no.  I drive a Honda Civic.  My house growing up was a small cape with three bedrooms and one bathroom.  My parents do NOT give me money every time I ask for it.  And, I have been working since high school. And, I have a gigantic amount of student loans so it should be noted that mommy and daddy are not paying the full amount of my college tuition.



2.  I am not a guidette.  I get that J WOW is from L.I. and there are some guidos and guidettes on the island but there are chill people too (like me).  We go to chill bars with a relaxed scene and an abundance of good beers.  So, no, not every bar is a full on club and not every 21 year old likes to fist pump and/or have nasty randos grindin all up on them.

3. I am not a BITCH. (well not all the time.)  Freshman year I was at a party and started talking to this guy.  He asked me where I was from and I said Long Island. :)  His response was "You must be a bitch".  And, he turned and walked away.


So what is with the stereotypes?  Many cool people have grown up on this fabulous island..aka:

And if you don't know who that is I hate you. :) Just kidding.. but you really should because he is AMAZING!


That's all for now.
xo,
TWTCC

No comments:

Post a Comment